You Can't Have a Day Without Agriculture

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cattle Show Moms Check List

My favorite mom role is being a cattle show mom.  I grew up showing livestock and have loved passing that family tradition on to our sons. Both boys started showing cattle at 8 years old, they are now about to turn 18 and 22 years, so I have been at this role for several years. This will be Blane's last year of junior shows, the time has sure gone by fast.
Packing and preparing for shows takes time and planning and even with the best planning and checking off the list, something always seems to get forgotten or left sitting at the barn !
As I reflect on the years there have been countless precious memories, if you are a new show mom here are my  tips and check list for each show. My best tip is Enjoy every minute as a show mom !
 
  1.  Show Calves ~ washed and clipped 
  2.  Kids  ~ also washed and clipped ! 1 & 2 are interchangeable ! both are necessary for a successful junior show 
  3. Show Supplies & Equipment, Feed – make a paper check list to use when packing 
  4. Registration Papers and health papers ~ if required – a 3 ring binder with zipper works great, put papers in page protectors. This is the question I always ask as are driving out of the yard “ do you have registration and health papers ?” 
  5.  Food and Drinks ~ individually packaged snacks for grab and go ease 
  6.  Show Clothes ~ Button Down Shirt, Jeans, Belt & Buckle, Boots, ~ take extra when the kids are young – we once had a red Gatorade and light colored shirt incident ! 
  7. Camera ~ to capture those precious moments, fun shots and wins  
  8.   A Smile, Words of Encouragement, Hugs ~ to be distributed as needed
  9.  Food and Drinks ~ did I say this already ? well I suggest  Lots of these; especially when your kids are boys !  
  10. Repeat the above for each show ! and most of all enjoy every moment of your kids junior show career it goes by fast.

3 comments:

judi @ farmnwife said...

What kinda food do you pack? Would like to hear some stories about what happened when something was left behind.

Sandy O said...

Judi;
I pack mostly snacks, cookies, fruit snacks, chips, etc. A staple is sunflower seeds, great for sharing with friends !
The main things left behind are a feed scoop and shovels, best to have two sets one for barn one for shows.

Mary said...

Thanks for the post. I am just a couple weeks away from my daughter's first livestock show. I showed every year in Junior Livestock shows, and I thought I had to remember things then, now I have so much more to remember to do to prepare and bring to the show. We have 6 kids 10 years all the way down to 2 months, and I just know something will get forgotten if I don't plan and make a checklist. What type of equipment, she is showing pigs, but eventually she will show calves since she is raising cattle already and loves it. Thanks for the post.